After College - The Plan

Posted by admin On 0 comments

After being in College for quite some time, I think that everyone deserves a little break. For most people, this could possibly be their last summer vacation and then their "life" begins. I believe my life began since the day I was born, because it molded me into who I am today and for the future. However, everyone measures their life differently. As much as I want to relax and enjoy this summer vacation, it's come to my attention that I want to get going with my career. I get bored easily, and I think a week of staying home and staring at the computer screen all day sparked my motivation. There have been times where I would open up multiple tabs on my Internet browser, and all of them happened to be Facebook for no apparent reason. I think that point being was a sign that it was time for me to start my After College game plan. I can simply jump right in and apply for all sorts of jobs and "settle" for whatever job that takes me since we are going through some tough times. As much as I'm tempted to do that, I have also witnessed that the majority of my colleagues have shown some type of disinterest with the jobs that they work for. I'm sure the income they make pays the bills, and helps them survive. I on the other hand, will stay on this positive drive that I will pursue my dream job/work. There are several things that I want to do in my life, and I strongly believe that 24 hours a day is more than enough time. It's all time management, and as I had mentioned, having the proper "Game Plan."

Today, I had purchased a white board so I can map out what I want to do within the next couple of weeks. I write ugly on my white board, but it's only for me to understand. I chose 3 different colors since I plan to do 3 different types of work. I emphasize on work and not job, because when it's a job it's considered a 9-5. If I were to have 3 different full time or even part time jobs, then it would be impossible to have all 3 as a 9-5 hourly type deal. I would have to be Superman on steroids if that were the case. As for 3 different types of work, there are no limitations with time and income. At the same time there's a big risk where you can purely devote so much time and make little money, or even make a lot of money. I, myself, am a risk taker, and I think this is where having the right game plan takes place. Before I set out to go on my after college journey, I want to make sure that my white board is as descriptive as it can be. In other words, I added on my board what I plan to do every day, and as well the goals that I want to meet. One of the types of work that I want to do is music management; therefore, I would set my plan for the first week such as doing on calls, research, possible interns, and networking. In addition, I would set statistical goals: such as the number of contacts I want to have or call, and how many interns I may want to apply for and so forth. By hitting these small goals and sticking with the plan, will help me pursue my dreams. It's very important for me and for everyone else to set REALISTIC goals when mapping out their game plan. I think that is the main reason why people give up is because they set some unrealistic goals which discourage themselves in the long run. I strongly recommend that everyone starts with a game plan, and especially a plan that you believe will work for you. Now that I've set a game plan, the next is research. Until next time!

This article has been viewed 14 time(s).
Article Submitted On: May 28, 2011